The scope of Human Resource Management refers to all the activities that come under the banner of Human Resource Management. These activities are as follows.
- Human resources planning :- Human resource planning or Human Resource Planning refers to a process by which the company to identify the number of jobs vacant, whether the company has excess staff or shortage of staff and to deal with this excess or shortage.
- Job analysis design :- Another important area of Human Resource Management is job analysis. Job analysis gives a detailed explanation about each and every job in the company.
- Recruitment and selection :- Based on information collected from job analysis the company prepares advertisements and publishes them in the newspapers. This is recruitment. A number of applications are received after the advertisement is published, interviews are conducted and the right employee is selected thus recruitment and selection are yet another important area of Human Resource Management.
- Orientation and induction :- Once the employees have been selected an induction or orientation program is conducted. This is another important area of Human Resource Management. The employees are informed about the background of the company, explain about the organizational culture and values and work ethics and introduce to the other employees.
- Training and development :- Every employee goes under training program which helps him to put up a better performance on the job. Training program is also conducted for existing staff that have a lot of experience. This is called refresher training. Training and development is one area where the company spends a huge amount.
- Performance appraisal :- Once the employee has put in around 1 year of service, performance appraisal is conducted that is the Human Resource department checks the performance of the employee. Based on these appraisal future promotions, incentives, increments in salary are decided.
- Compensation planning and remuneration :- There are various rules regarding compensation and other benefits. It is the job of the Human Resource department to look into remuneration and compensation planning.
- Motivation, welfare, health and safety :- Motivation becomes important to sustain the number of employees in the company. It is the job of the Human Resource department to look into the different methods of motivation. Apart from this certain health and safety regulations have to be followed for the benefits of the employees. This is also handled by the HR department.
- Industrial relations :- Another important area of Human Resource Management is maintaining co-ordinal relations with the union members. This will help the organization to prevent strikes lockouts and ensure smooth working in the company.
The Human Resource Officer is responsible for providing support in the various human resource functions, which include recruitment, staffing, training and development, performance monitoring and employee counseling.
(The way that the position contributes to and impacts on the organization) The Human Resource Officer provides advice and assistance to supervisors and staff. This may include information on training needs and opportunities, job descriptions, performance reviews and personnel policies.
The position coordinates the staff recruitment process .The Human Resource Officer provides advice and support to supervisors and staff selection committees and ensures that they have accurate and timely information in order to make effective decisions.
Failure to provide adequate advice or assistance may result in lost opportunities for staff development, poor staff morale, financial loss to staffs for residents and a loss of credibility.