Job Specification Sample: Marketing Manager
The marketing manager is responsible for the total management of the marketing department. The following requirements (job specifications) were determined by job analysis and derived from the job description as crucial for success in the marketing manager job. The candidate for the marketing manager position will possess these qualifications.
- 10 years of progressively more responsible positions in marketing, preferably in a similar industry in different firms.
- Experience in supervising and managing a professional staff of seven.
- Bachelors Degree in Marketing specialization or a related field required.
- Masters of Business Administration, Marketing specialization preferred.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Characteristics
These are the most important qualifications of the individual selected as the marketing manager.
- Strong effective communicator.
- Highly developed, demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Ability to coordinate the efforts of a large team of diverse creative employees.
- Demonstrated ability to increase productivity and continuously improve methods, approaches, and departmental contribution. Commitment to continuous learning.
- Expert in Internet and social media strategy with a demonstrated track record.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in holding conversations with customers, customer evangelism, and customer-focused product development and outreach.
- Demonstrated ability to see the big picture and provide useful advice and input across the company.
- Ability to lead in an environment of constant change.
- Experience working in a flexible, employee empowering work environment. Structured or large company experience will not work here.
- Familiarity and skill with the tools of the trade in marketing including PR, written communication, website development, market research, product packaging, Microsoft software suite of products, visal communication software products, and creative services.
- Experience managing external PR and communication consulting firms and contractors.
- Experience in the global marketplace is a plus.
High Level Overview of Job Requirements
The selected marketing manager must be able to perform effectively in each of these areas:
- Researching and evaluating new product opportunities, demand for potential products, and customer needs and insights.
- Overall marketing strategy and execution of plans for the existing products.
- Working with product development teams to manage new product development.
- Managing launch campaigns for new products.
- Managing distribution channels for products.
- Ensuring effective, branded marketing communications including the company website, print communication, and advertising.
- Managing media and marketing staff and external PR agencies.
- Analysis of the effectiveness of all marketing efforts.